Bulk Spinach Anyone?

Am I losing my mind? Well, the short answer is no... But I just realized that my last three recipes have included spinach... What? Sorry peeps – But because I've decided my family needs an extra-large tub of the greens stuff, we all get to experience the versatility of this hearty leaf. Nothing gets a preschooler to the table faster than a heaping spoonful of spinach, huh? (I’ll write about the melt-downs later). But that happens to all of us, right? You buy a huge bag of whatchamacallits and have to eat it up before it spoils. Usually bought from... You guessed it, Costco! Or "Da Price Club", as many of us here in Newfoundland call it.
 
Costco is a curse and a blessing all rolled into one... One big gigantico roll of cellophane, probably! I've had mine for at least three years.  Is it strange that I want it to run out so I can buy a new one? Why? Why does the thought of needing to buy a new jumbo roll of cellophane turn me on? Am I alone here? Weirdo.
 
Anyways, this place... God help me, is insane! Try going down on a Saturday afternoon. We've all done it... And we've all sworn never to do it again... But there we go... Making plans to go this weekend because those triangle Ciabatta buns are deadly... And I simply can’t live without my 16 pack of Mister Clean Magic Erasers. Seriously? Is that really necessary?
 
If the size of the average family goes down, why are these bulk food places so popular? Hmm... Something's not right here. It's consumerism on bust! But, I digress, mainly because I love the damned place. It's kinda like a clothing outlet inside the grocery store... All located in the psychiatric ward on an episode of Canada's Worst Drivers.
 
So here's to all you bird-flipping, dilly-dallying, aisle hoggers, (like myself) who'd gladly offer up a digit for the last 36 pack of Cozy Shack rice puddings... (That will also spoil before you can eat them).

 
Parmesan Chicken w/ Sautéed Spinach & Mushrooms and Rice Pilaf


Parmesan Herbed Chicken:
 
Ingredients:
4 Chicken breast
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
4 tsp. Bread crumbs
 
Combine mayo with cheese and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Arrange chicken in a casserole dish or baking sheet.  Evenly top chicken with mixture and bake at 425F for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
 

Sautéed Spinach & Mushrooms:
Ingredients:
4 handfuls of Spinach (or 1 per person)
4-5 fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. olive oil
 
Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add garlic and sauté for about a minute or until garlic lightly browns. Add spinach and cover for 3-5 minutes.
 
Rice Pilaf: 
Ingredients:
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 cup Rice
2 cup Chicken stock
2 ribs Celery, finely diced
2 Carrots, finely diced
1/2 small onion, finely diced (*tip: Chop extra vegies when you have some time and freeze them for other recipes. I usually keep a bag of frozen diced onion in my freezer at all times.)

 
In a medium skillet, heat oil then add onion, celery and carrot. Sauté vegies onlow heat until tender. Meanwhile, in a saucepan cook rice as per directions substituting water for broth. When rice is cooked, add vegetables.


Besides cutting veggies, this recipe is super quick… especially since the rice and spinach literally take 5 minutes to make. Enjoy... and I promise to lay off the spinach.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bacon's a Food Group... Right?

All Hail the Muffin Tin Meal

You’re starting a food blog?